- Documentary films
- Video content makers
- Linux Hardening Guide (2020)
- Google Is Helping the Pentagon Build AI for Drones (2018)
- Google and Amazon are now in the oil business (2020)
- Google Walkout: Employees Stage Protest Over Handling of Sexual Harassment (2018)
- Google’s tax avoidance is called ‘capitalism’, says chairman Eric Schmidt (2012)
- How Google and search engines are making us more racist - Vox
- Kira McLean - What I Use Now Instead Of Google
- Google Fired an Engineer Who Wrote Code Telling Googlers They Had a Right to Organize (2019)
- Auditing local news presence on Google News
- Reasons not to use Google
- Reasons not to use (i.e., be used by) Facebook
- Reasons not to buy from Amazon
- Reasons not to use Apple
- Reasons not to use the Discord communications system
- Reasons not to use Microsoft
- Reasons not to use Skype
- Reasons not to use Slack
- Spotify now officially even worse than the NSA (2015)
- Spotify to let artists promote music for cut in royalty rates (2020)
- Spotify can tell if you’re sad. Here’s why that should scare you (2018)
- Zoom iOS App Sends Data to Facebook Even if You Don’t Have a Facebook Account (2020)
- Zoom lied to users about end-to-end encryption for years, FTC says (2020)
- Systemd: The Biggest Fallacies (2014)
- Become shell literate (2020)
- Is Dark Mode Actually Better For Your Eyes?
- Hundred Rabbits — off the grid - Thoughts and resources about living off the grid.
- Open Source Stash - A catalogue of open-source alternatives for design, development, analytics and more.
- GoatCounter web analytics - Easy web analytics. No tracking of personal data.
- Git email flow vs Github flow (2020)
- Letra Studio
- Ten Quick Tips for Staying Safe Online
- Privacy matters even if “you have nothing to hide” (2019)
- Wiping harddisks in 2019 (2019)
- The potential harms of the Tor anonymity network cluster disproportionately in free countries (2020)
- Spyware Watchdog - The goal of this website is to classify spyware programs, so that users can be more aware that they are installing spyware.
- Merch Table - Support the artists you listen to [via Spotify] by buying their stuff [on Bandcamp].
- Inbyggd Frihet Göteborg - Sammanslutningen Inbyggd Frihet Göteborg är ett nätverk och plattform som verkar för fri och säker inbyggd programvara (firmware), som t.ex. Libreboot.
- The Green Web Foundation - Is your website hosted green?
- The Green Hosting Directory - A list of green hosting providers.
- Anarch - Extremely small, completely public domain, no-dependency, no-file, portable suckless anarcho-pacifist from-scratch 90s-style Doom clone that runs everywhere, made for the benefit of all living beings.
- SuperTuxKart - SuperTuxKart is a 3D open-source arcade racer with a variety characters, tracks, and modes to play.
- 0 A.D. - As the leader of an ancient civilization, you must gather the resources you need to raise a military force and dominate your enemies.
- Minetest - It’s like Minecraft, but open source.
- Teeworlds - Teeworlds is a free online multiplayer game, available for all major operating systems. Battle with up to 16 players in a variety of game modes, including Team Deathmatch and Capture The Flag. You can even design your own maps.
- Owncast Directory - Owncast is a self-hosted live video and web chat server for use with existing popular broadcasting software.
- The 512KB Club - The 512KB Club is a collection of performance-focused web pages from across the Internet.
- Humans For Ethical Technology - HFET is fighting for a brighter future in technology ethics.
- Your Smart TV is probably ignoring your PiHole (2020)
- Facebook: Free as in Bullshit (2020)
- A New Satellite Can Peer Inside Buildings, Day or Night (2020)
- Public Money, Public Code - Why is software created using taxpayers’ money not released as Free Software?
- new.css - Write modern websites using only HTML.
- Facebook to move UK users to California terms, avoiding EU privacy rules (2020)
- Nvidia Under Fire For Banning Review Site That Doesn’t Focus On Nvidia Hardware Strengths (2020)
- Walt Disney thinks they have the right to publish work and not pay the writer no matter what the contract says (2020)
- Endangered Firefox: The state of Mozilla (2020)
- The problems with Apple aren’t just outages, they are injustices (2020)
- U.S. Accuses Google of Illegally Protecting Monopoly (2020)
- Facebook Accused of Breaking Antitrust Laws (2020)
- The latest Nintendo Switch update secretly turns on User data sharing (2020)
- How I Bridged iMessage and XMPP (2020)
- People are putting their routers in jail to protect themselves from harmless Wi-Fi (2020)
- Microsoft copied its new Windows Package Manager from rival AppGet, claims developer (2020)
- The only two satellites dedicated to observing the north and south poles are almost certain to die before replacements are flown (2020)
- People Can’t Vacuum Or Use Their Doorbell Because Amazon’s Cloud Servers Are Down (2020)
- Amazon and Apple ‘dodging responsibility’ for electronic waste (2020)
- Walmart-exclusive router and others sold on Amazon & eBay contain hidden backdoors to control devices (2020)
- Once Again, Facebook Is Using Privacy As A Sword To Kill Independent Innovation (2020)
- Secret Amazon Reports Expose Company Spying on Labor, Environmental Groups (2020)
- US Military Buys Location Data From Muslim Prayer App (2020)
- Apple lets some Big Sur network traffic bypass firewalls (2020)
- Proposal to install spyware in university libraries to protect copyrights shocks academics (2020)
- YouTube will put ads on non-partner videos but won’t pay full creators (2020)
- Microsoft productivity score feature criticised as workplace surveillance (2020)
- Amnesty- Facebooks och Googles omfattande övervakning hotar mänskliga rättigheter (2019)
- Det här är integritet – och därför behöver du bry dig
- Apple dropped plan for encrypting backups after FBI complained - sources (2020)
- Det här är integritet – och därför behöver du bry dig
- Megadesk - An open-source, drop in controller for the IKEA Bekant standing desk.
- sourcehut - Provides online services like git and Mercurial hosting, mailing lists, bug tracking and wikis.
- Operation Tulip - Provides Nextcloud hosting. It’s currently in beta and free.
- Codeberg - Provides git hosting.
- The Lounge - Web based IRC-client.
- Pinafore.social - Web based Mastodon-client.
- Inverse.chat - Web based XMPP-client using Converse.
- Linux.Pizza - Provides online services like Mastodon, run by Selea.
- Fripost - E-mail provider, users can be anonymous, located in Sweden.
- NixNet - Provides online services like e-mail, XMPP, Pleroma, Gitea, Tiny Tiny RSS, Mumble, Searx, wallabag and more. Hosted by Amolith.
- libreho.st - They list various non-profit websites that host ethical services based on libre software.
- Mailbox.org - E-mail provider that uses green energy, located in Germany.
- Migadu - E-mail provider, based in Switzerland, data center located in France.
- Environmental aspects of the electric car
- The open source movement runs on the heroic efforts of not enough people doing too much work. They need help. (2020)
- Spotify Sharing User Activity Data With Music Labels: Report (2019)
- The Spotify privacy backlash: what is my personal data really worth? (2015)
- Spotify Says It Was Unaware of Personal User Data Shared by Facebook (2018)
- Spotify now requiring its Premium Family Plan customers to share their location data (2019)
- Spotify manipulates your emotions and sells your data (2019)
- Spotify announced an innovative marketplace that will allow big ad tech companies to access data for 70 million of its users (2016)
- System Of A Down
- August Burns Red
- The Anchor
- Make Them Suffer
- Killswitch Engage
- Cult of Luna
- The Ocean
- As A Conceit
- Dream On Dreamer
- DREAM STATE
Video content makers:
- The carbon cost of digital tech (2019)
- Energy Conservation with Open Source Ad Blockers (2020)
- Which Programming Languages Use the Least Electricity? (2018)
- CO2 emissions on the web (2020)
- Bitcoin consumes more energy than Switzerland, according to new estimate (2019)
- Bitcoin’s energy consumption is underestimated: A market dynamics approach (2020)
- Another thing you may not know about Bitcoin: it’s killing the planet (2019)
- Can the planet really afford the exorbitant power demands of machine learning? (2019)
- YouTube could help the planet by throwing out its digital waste (2019)
- Apple apps on Big Sur bypass firewalls and VPNs — this is terrible (2020)
- Big no on Big Sur: Mullvad disallows Apple apps to bypass firewall (2020)
- The Linux Foundation recommends Windows and Mac, and requires Adobe Flash Player, and says that Linux “may experience difficulties” with webinars (2016)
- Linux Foundation President Used MacOS For Presentation at Open Source Summit (2017)
- Google reCAPTCHA service under the microscope: Questions raised over privacy promises, cookie use (2020)
- Machine Learning CO2 Impact Calculator
- Website Carbon Calculator - How is your website impacting the planet?
- Bitcoin Energy Consumption Index - Provides the latest estimate of the total energy consumption of the Bitcoin network.
- Keebfol.io - Open source keyboard projects
- Greenhost - Green and sustainable web hosting, locate in Nederlands und uses green energy.
- Ethical Consumer For-profit organization that provides tools and resources for you to make informed and ethical as a consumer.
- Installing a RGB mechanical keypad on my microwave (2020)
- RMS: “Saying No to unjust computing even once is helpful” (2020)
- HP Replaces ‘Free Ink for Life’ Plan With ‘99 Cents a Month Or Your Printer Stops Working’ (2020)
- One Year After Bricking Third-Party Ink With Update, HP Is Back on Its Bullshit (2017)
- Saying No to unjust computing even once is help (2020)
- Everything We Know About Facebook’s Secret Mood Manipulation Experiment (2014)
- Learn to use email with git
- Linus Torvalds don’t do GitHub pull requests (2012)
- Boycott Wayland. It breaks everything! (2020)
- iPhone 12 Anti Repair Design - Teardown and Repair Assessment (2020)
- Keebfol.io - A database with open source keyboard projects.
- Apple Stole My Music. No, Seriously
- China arrests 22 over sale of Apple private data
- Uber said it protects you from spying. Security sources say otherwise
- AT&T fined $25 million after call center employees stole customers’ data
- Amtrak employee sold customer data to DEA for two decades
- Deleted folder in Dropbox reappeared years later
- Facebook does not erase user-deleted content
- GitLab.com melts down after wrong directory deleted, backups fail
- Killed by Google
- Light Bulb DRM: Philips Locks Purchasers Out Of Third-Party Bulbs With Firmware Update
- Scientists rename human genes to stop Microsoft Excel from misreading them as dates
- Discover PeerTubers - A wiki to find information about your favourite ‘Content Creators’ on PeerTube, or to discover new ones.
- Facebook just forced its most powerful critics offline (2020)
- Halloween documents - The Halloween documents comprise a series of confidential Microsoft memoranda on potential strategies relating to free software, open-source software, and to Linux in particular.
- DigitalOcean’s hacktoberfest is hurting open source
- Klädernas miljö- och klimatpåverkan (2019)
- How to choose a green web host
- Seed for “most iconic image in Minecraft history” found after eight month search
- European Commission: Open source software strategy 2020-2023 - The European Commission will further encourage and leverage the transformative, innovative and collaborative potential of open source.
- What’s the deal with snap packages?
- A Beginner’s Guide to Switches
- A Beginner’s Guide to Force Curves
- The Problem with Mechanical Switch Reviews
- How to Read a Force Curve
- Text-only* websites - This is a directory of websites that primarily stick with simple, marked up, hyperlinked text.
- 2.5 Admins [Website] [Feed]
- BSD Now [Website] [Feed]
- Humans of Open Source [Feed]
- IT-säkerhetspodden [Website] [Feed]
- Late Night Linux Extra [Website] [Feed]
- Linux User Space [Website] [Feed]
- P3 Dokumentär [Website] [Feed]
- P3 ID [Website] [Feed]
- P3 Nyheter Dokumentär [Website] [Feed]
- Software Freedom Podcast [Website] [Feed]
- Sommar & Vinter i P1 [Website] [Feed]
- Så kan det gå [Website] [Feed]
- Tabs, Not Spaces [Website] [Feed]
- The New Show [Website] [Feed]
- Trevlig Mjukvara [Website] [Feed]
- Ubuntu Podcast [Website] [Feed]
- We don’t stream [Website] [Feed]
- The Social Dilemma - The film explores the rise of social media and the damage it has caused to society, focusing on its exploitation of its users for financial gain through surveillance capitalism and data mining, how its design is meant to nurture an addiction, its use in politics, its effect on mental health (including the mental health of adolescents and rising teen suicide rates), and its role in spreading conspiracy theories such as Pizzagate and aiding groups such as flat-earthers.
- Your problem with Vim is that you don’t grok vi
- Everyone Who Tried to Convince Me to use Vim was Wrong
- Why, oh WHY, do those #?@! nutheads use vi?
- How I boosted my Vim
- Graphical vi-vim Cheat Sheet and Tutorial
- An Extremely Quick and Simple Introduction to the Vi Text Editor
- VIM Quick reference card
- Flatpak - a security nightmare
- A Future Without Privacy
- Jamendo - Free streaming and free downloads of music for personal use. It used to be Creative Commons only.
- Learn vim For the Last Time: A Tutorial and Primer
- Coming Home to Vim
- When coffee makers are demanding a ransom, you know IoT is screwed
- Criticism of Google - Includes concern for tax avoidance, misuse and manipulation of search results, its use of others intellectual property, concerns that its compilation of data may violate peoples privacy, censorship of search results and a lot more.